Last night on Instagram, I shared the above photo with all my beach essentials but most importantly my new bikini I just purchased for the summer. Yes, bikini! As I shared in a post last summer, high waisted bikinis are very flattering for that mommy pouch. Anyway, I purchased this one on Amazon last week and I love how it made me feel when I tried it. You also can’t beat the fact that it’s only $15 long enough to cover those stretch marks (if you have any) and the top provides great support. I’m heading to the beach next week and I am really excited to wear it.
One of the commenters on my original post, Nicole wrote this awesome comment:
“That high-waisted suit is beautiful! Moms are the bomb, and all women of all shapes and sizes are magic. There are few things in the world more powerful and lovely than a woman who is confident in her own skin. Share your brilliance with the world, ladies!”
If you’re not feeling up to wearing a swimsuit this summer, read this encouraging post, I wrote last summer.
She’s so right about that! In addition to my high waisted bikini, I wanted to share some more of my beach essentials: (affiliate links)
- Sunscreen: I have to protect this melanin and Clinique does an excellent job. I’ve been using this sunscreen for a few years and I have no intention of switching.
- Nude nail polish: Okay, well seriously light pinkish nude nail polish. I love how this Essie shade looks against my complexion. It’s clean, and chic!
- Good Book: This summer I am revisiting one of my favorite books by supermodel Alex Wek. Alek: My Life from Sudanese Refugee to International Supermodel, I purchased this book years ago when it was just released read it and loved it so much that I’m looking forward to reading it again this summer.
- Nude lip gloss: NYX lip butter remains my go to for lipgloss since I discovered them and left more expensive brands behind because of the good quality of their products.
- Shorts: If you haven’t realized by now, I love to wear shorts during the summer. That wasn’t always the case, I wasn’t always comfortable enough to do so especially with all the cat calling (that’s a different post) but these are my favorite pair. I purchased them at Express a few years ago and pull them out every year.
- Coconut oil: As many of you know coconut oil is bae around here and I like to protect my natural tresses with coconut oil during the summer especially when I hit the beach. You can also use it on your skin to prevent shaving bumps and as sunscreen. (More uses of coconut oil for mom and baby here).
What are your beach essentials?